Tuesday, November 24, 2009

6. THE COMMUNITY OF THE FAITHFUL



I believe in God the Father, Creator and Creative
He gives me his steadfast love
and shares my joy
and gives me strength when I suffer.

His power is available for me. I trust him.

I follow Jesus Christ, Son of God and Son of Man.
His death is my victory
His resurrection is my hope.
In him the Word has become flesh.

In him I am offered forgiveness of all my sins,
renewal from failure,
reconciliation from brokenness,
release from despair.

I am guided by the Holy Spirit, God's presence in my life and in the world.
By the Spirit I am called to belong to Christ's church,
To celebrate his love
To seek justice and resist evil.

Because we are his disciples, his pilgrim people, we joyfully
covenant with each other
to walk together in love,
to pray for one another,
to care for one another,
to live in koinonia.

In life, in death, in life beyond death
God is with us.
We are not alone.
Thanks be to God!
Amen.

*****

Blessed Lord,
who caused all holy scriptures to be written for our learning;
Grant that I may hear them,
read, mark, learn and inwardly digest them,
that I may embrace and ever hold fast
the blessed hope of everlasting life,
which you have given us in our Saviour Jesus Christ.
Amen.

*****

Merciful Lord,
when we come to your table
I do not presume to trust in my own goodness
but in your all-embracing love and mercy...

The Lord be with you.

And also with you.

Lift up your hearts

We lift them to the Lord

Let us give thanks to the Lord our God

It is right to give our thanks and praise.

It is truly right and our greatest joy to give you thanks and praise, O Lord our God, creator and ruler of the universe. In your wisdom you made all things and sustain them by your power. You formed us in your image, setting us in this world to love and to serve you and to live in peace with your whole creation. When we rebelled against you, refusing to trust and obey you, you did not reject us, but still claimed us as your own. You sent the prophets the call us back to your way. Then in the fullness of time, out of your great love for the world, you sent your only Son to be one of us, to redeem us and heal our brokenness. For our sakes he opened his arms on the cross; he put an end to death and revealed the resurrection. In this he fulfilled your will and won for you all holy people. Therefore we praise you, joining our voices with choirs of angels, with the prophets, apostles and martyrs, and with all the faithful of every time and place, who forever sing to the glory of your name, saying:

Holy, holy, holy, Lord God of power and might, heaven and earth are full of your glory. Hosanna in the highest. Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord. Hosanna in the highest.

*****

Almighty God, bless your church [with whom/where I worship and throughout the world].
There may the faithful find salvation
And the careless be awakened.
May the doubting find faith,
and the anxious be encouraged.
May the tempted find help,
and the sorrowful comfort.
May the weary find rest,
and the strong be renewed.
May the aged find consolation,
and the young be inspired,
through Jesus Christ my Lord.
Amen.

*****

Lord, bless your people who are living in danger of persecution, violence, torture and sometimes death, for 'The Name' - 70% of the world's population of nearly 7 billion people.

*****

Eternal God and Father,
by whose power we are created and by whose love we are redeemed:
guide and strengthen us by your Spirit,
that we may give ourselves to your service,
and live this day in love to one another and to you;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen


Notes: 'It is truly right and our greatest joy' - adapted from the widely-used 'Great Thanksgiving', prayed in many communion services. More on persecution of Christians - see here.

No comments:

Post a Comment